[Samba] Wishlist for v4.0 Integration / Setup of samba.

José Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa icamargo at merkurio.com.ve
Mon Jul 5 21:58:42 GMT 2004

Hi!

Jacob A. Alifrangis wrote:

>Is there maybe a way to consolidate (At the developer level) all of the tools and methods into one concise list.
>
>samba is not really tightly integrated with the OS,

Thanks God.   This allows it to be compiled on almost any *nix flavor.

> Is there maybe a way to re-organise the way samba works? maybe to make it completely emulate the way it works on the windows command line?

I don't like the windows's net command, nor the route, nor the "tracert"
(come on, who wrote these?), nor the ping (yes, not even the ping).  If
somebody wants a "windows compatible" net command, write a wrap script.
(please, read on, I just don't like the feeling of using the same thing
on windows and linux).

>for example make everything integrated into the net command.....
>
>net use (file system mounting)
>net passwd
>net start,stop,restart [service] would trigger the /etc/rc.d/[service] script.
>net print [cups->samba]
>
>so on and so forth.
>
>there is an easier way.
>
>We should also maybe invest some time into making a better (wizard) routine for configuring samba, joining it to the domain, bringing it up as an ads/pdc/bdc machine.

Improve the swat wizard, sounds cool.  Altough I only used it once, I
think that any newbe would be thankful.

>There should also be a way to configure ldap and samba to work together, this manual config-shit is useless.

I like the "manual config-shit", and it is very usefull (it works very,
very well), I can use whatever ldap server I want, but there should be
an option to do it "automatically".  But, you should be able to do it by
hand still (that is exactly what I like of the open source world, you
can "adapt" things to your taste, in case you don't like them).
Aditonally, samba can be integrated with almost any ldap I know.  In
order to make it "automagic", would be necessary to choose one ldap
server to support, the others would still needed to be configured by
hand (this is due to the different ways of installing schemas of each one)