[Samba] Wishlist for v4.0 Integration / Setup of samba.

Jacob A. Alifrangis jalifrangis at xialys.com
Mon Jul 5 17:05:20 GMT 2004

Is there maybe a way to consolidate (At the developer level) all of the tools and methods into one concise list.

samba is not really tightly integrated with the OS, Is there maybe a way to re-organise the way samba works? maybe to make it completely emulate the way it works on the windows command line?

for example make everything integrated into the net command.....

net use (file system mounting)
net passwd
net start,stop,restart [service] would trigger the /etc/rc.d/[service] script.
net print [cups->samba]

so on and so forth.

there is an easier way.

We should also maybe invest some time into making a better (wizard) routine for configuring samba, joining it to the domain, bringing it up as an ads/pdc/bdc machine.

There should also be a way to configure ldap and samba to work together, this manual config-shit is useless.

A good method might be to detect the current network setup and make the appropriate changes and settings.

There should also be a net share command to quickly export trees from the commandline.

the tool should work on the commandline first, then X. not all servers have an X server running.

Well, hope I could help and bring a little insight into the group.