[Samba] problem with smbpasswd

Yunus yunus_yb at coolgoose.com
Mon Jul 5 17:04:27 GMT 2004

hi list

  i have got a redhat 9 system with samba-3.0.2a installed running as a PDC.
  I am using the smbldap-tools-8.5 from idealx.org.

  now the problem is that  when i try to change change a user password using
  smbpasswd i get this:
[root at fileserver smb-pdc]#>/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd testuser
  New SMB password:
  Retype new SMB password:
  Failed to find entry for user testuser.
  Failed to modify password entry for user testuser

  I have another samba server running as PDC on another machine with the same
  configuration without trouble. I don't know whats wrong with this one.

  below is my smb.conf file

[global]
  workgroup = SMB-NT
  netbios name = PDC-SMB-MAGNET
  server string = SAMBA-LDAP PDC Server
  encrypt passwords = Yes
  passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd -o %u
  passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *successfully*
  ldap passwd sync = Yes
  #unix password sync = Yes
  username map = /usr/local/samba/smbusers
  min passwd length = 3
  obey pam restrictions = No
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
  log level = 0
  max log size = 10000
  mangling method = hash2
  Dos charset = 850
  Unix charset = ISO8859-1
  domain logons = Yes
  os level = 80
  preferred master = Yes
  domain master = True
  dns proxy = No
  wins support = Yes
  ; SAMBA-LDAP declarations
  ldap suffix = dc=magnet,dc=pdc
  ldap user suffix = ou=Users
  ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
  ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
  ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=magnet,dc=pdc
  ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users
  ldap port = 389
  ldap server = 127.0.0.1
  ldap ssl = No
  ;printing = lprng
  ; Deactivate opportunistic locks (wised)
  ; opLocks = False
  ; encoding to french
  ;character set = iso8859-1
  ; using smbldap-tools to add machines
  add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m %u
  #delete user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
  add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
  add group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
  #delete group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
  add user to group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
  delete user from group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
  set primary group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
  ; users and groups allowed to be 'Domain Admins'
  ;admin users = " @"Domain Admins" "
   admin users = root
[homes]
  comment = Home Directories