[Samba] samba 2.2.9 pdbedit -> ldap problems

Michal Kurowski mkur at poczta.gazeta.pl
Mon Jul 5 17:00:31 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm having weird problems with pdbedit working with a Ldap backend.

Basically I'm not able to join the domain (samba domain mode) with my
XP Pro clients. The winpopup error is: no valid IDs mapping.

Samba client log shows this:

smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1558) domain_client_validate:
could not fetch trust account password for domain xxx

I tracked it down and I think there's something wrong with pdbedit.
I am not able to view my "ntadmin" user record ("ntadmin" is my uid 0
user created specially for Windows administration/domain joining).
I'm perfectly sure "ntadmin" has all required fields in Ldap database
filled up.

Pdbedit does not seem to require Ldap database for operation. All
retrieval operations return without any Ldap query - I checked my logs
carefully...

I've got to add all my "smbpasswd -j xxx -r xxx -U ntadmin" trials end
up like this:

Error connecting to xxx
Unable to join domain xxx

But I'm not sure if it is required in the first place - my Samba
server *is* a PDC. I'd also like to mention all user level mode
operations are fully successful and I have no problems with my Ldap
database whatsoever.

What's going on in here ? What's so special about pdbedit ?

--
Michal Kurowski
<mkur at poczta.gazeta.pl>