[Samba] DNS->Wins proxy?

Elver Loho kernelpenguin at hot.ee
Mon Jul 5 16:22:30 GMT 2004

Hi.

Some of my friends like to drag their computers to my place for LAN parties
sometimes and I've set up a DHCP server on my Linux gateway for easy
configuration. When someone sets up a game server on their computer, we still
have to resort to broadcasting via the voice-over-air protocol to get the IP
to everyone. Today I set up a WINS server with Samba on my Linux gateway and
all of my Windows-running computers now belong to the same Samba-managed
workgroup and can resolve by name.

The problem is that my non-Windows-running computers would also like the
ability to resolve NetBIOS names to IPs. Is there a DNS server out there that
can resolve via Samba's WINS server first and if it's not found, resort to
acting as a normal caching nameserver or simply route the request to some
other name servers? Basically, what I'm looking for is a DNS-to-WINS/DNS
proxy. Does such a thing exist?

Elver