[Samba] XP Can't Join Domain

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Jul 2 15:44:38 GMT 2004

Daniel R. Meigs wrote:

>Dan Meigs wrote:
>

>>I am running Samba 3.0.2 as a PDC on a Fedora Core 1 machine using openldap
>>as the password backend. I think I've got all the openldap stuff working. I
>>can log in, ssh, etc. using ldap accounts.
>>
>>When I try to join an XP machine to the domain, I get an error on the XP
>>machine that reads: The following error occurred attempting to join the
>>domain "TIMBERLINE": The user name could not be found.
>>
>>When I check the logs, it is clear that the authentication succeeded and
>>

>the
>

>>script to add a machine account completed successfully. So I can't figure
>>out what is causing the error.
>>
>>Any help would be much appreciated!
>>

>I found the problem! It turned out to be an ldap problem after all. I had
>added the machine account to ou=Computers as detailed in most of the
>Samba/LDAP documentation. However, Samba was looking for the machine account
>in ou=People.
>
>So I made the necessary change to smbldap_conf.pm, and I was able to join
>the domain.
>
>There is probably a way to make ou=Computers work, but I haven't a clue how.

This is actually a well known (to people that read this list for more
than a couple weeks) bug in the design of samba.  I could swear I got it
working once on a linux box without reconfiguring pam_nss, but I could
be wrong.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254