[Samba] XP Can't Join Domain

Daniel R. Meigs dmeigs at tlinenm.com
Fri Jul 2 15:37:44 GMT 2004

Dan Meigs wrote:

>I am running Samba 3.0.2 as a PDC on a Fedora Core 1 machine using openldap
>as the password backend. I think I've got all the openldap stuff working. I
>can log in, ssh, etc. using ldap accounts.
>
>When I try to join an XP machine to the domain, I get an error on the XP
>machine that reads: The following error occurred attempting to join the
>domain "TIMBERLINE": The user name could not be found.
>
>When I check the logs, it is clear that the authentication succeeded and
the
>script to add a machine account completed successfully. So I can't figure
>out what is causing the error.
>
>Any help would be much appreciated!

I found the problem! It turned out to be an ldap problem after all. I had
added the machine account to ou=Computers as detailed in most of the
Samba/LDAP documentation. However, Samba was looking for the machine account
in ou=People.

So I made the necessary change to smbldap_conf.pm, and I was able to join
the domain.

There is probably a way to make ou=Computers work, but I haven't a clue how.

--Dan