[Samba] User access level.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 30 13:02:41 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 05:32, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> Well, now everything seems to be in place for the big leap to Linux for file
> server and logon server.
>
> But there is one big catch that I can't find any info about.  The default
> user level mappings in a Windows XP SP1 / Samba 2.2.5 PDC setting.
>
> Admin level is perfectly clear, but there is a group level "Domain Users",
> what is the corresponding Windows XP user level?  Will the user be a "User"
> or "Privileged User" ?  If it's the lower level, how can I enable the Priv.
> User level to be the active?  The Samba PDC is running with roaming
> profiles, uses LDAP and is version 2.2.5 (alt. 2.2.8a).
>
> Upgrading to Samba3 isn't an option, due to its tight integration with the
> rest of my SuSE system. (SuSE Linux Standard Server 8).
----
User access level is a function of the local machine - not the PDC. You
can however take these things in a lump by using groups...let's say that
all of your users are members of a group called 'all-users'. Then you
could add the 'DOMAIN\all-users' into the Power Users group on each
local machine.

Craig