[Samba] 'multi-layered' authentication

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 29 21:29:13 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 08:08, webster at lexmark.com wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Sorry if I've not been clear on my requirements.
> For a given list of IP subnets, I need to allow everyone access.

Allow them access as themselves, without passwords, as guest, without
passwords?

Simple application of 'guest ok' and 'hosts allow' should fix that.

> Outside this list, I need to do user authentication.
> Many of these clients are WinXP (& 2K), which requires using
> encrypted passwords.
> Ideally, I would authenticate against a 'corporate' LDAP server.
>
> No one is using a 'common' (with other apps) LDAP server to do
> encrypted Samba authentication?

You cannot do 'ldap authentication' in the way many other applications
have done it in the past.

> What are my practical choices for doing encrypted Samba
> authentication against?  1) smbpasswd, & 2) a Windows domain ?

1) A Samba passdb backend (can store smbpasswd values in LDAP)
or
2) A windows domain

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au