[Samba] 'multi-layered' authentication

webster at lexmark.com webster at lexmark.com
Wed Jan 28 21:08:52 GMT 2004

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if I've not been clear on my requirements.
For a given list of IP subnets, I need to allow everyone access.
Outside this list, I need to do user authentication.
Many of these clients are WinXP (& 2K), which requires using
encrypted passwords.
Ideally, I would authenticate against a 'corporate' LDAP server.

No one is using a 'common' (with other apps) LDAP server to do
encrypted Samba authentication?

What are my practical choices for doing encrypted Samba
authentication against?  1) smbpasswd, & 2) a Windows domain ?