[Samba] Access97, in house VB6 app, terrible performance

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 28 11:28:25 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 21:35, Tim Smith wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> our database integrity sure did vanish. i was  under the impression the
> the .ldb file did the locking for  the access files... but aparantly not.

I think it just locks the number of users (and their
sessionid/name/machine)

> funny thing is oplocks = no didn't work either.
> for veto oplocks i user "veto oplocks =  /dir/*.*db" so that all

ok, well if you run testparm you would find that you got the parameter
name wrong.  If you read the documentation more carefully, you would see
the (slightly bizarre) syntax for this command is:

veto oplock files = /*.ldb/*.mdb/

> database files on our system we not locked.
> I have read plenty of documentation that states database files should
> NOT be locked.

The files should have byte-range locks, but oplocks (whole-of-file
client-side caching) is pointless in a multiuser database, and risks
long delays as the clients keep having to 'give back' their copy of the
file.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org