[Samba] Client Software for Windows

Buchan Milne bgmilne at obsidian.co.za
Tue Jan 27 09:26:22 GMT 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Markus Feldmann wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> is there a Client Software for Windows that offers a possibility to
> take a different Username to mount Samba shares at the Startup of Windows,
> like the Netware Client for WIndows.

THe whole point of samba is to provide file-sharing, print-serving and
authentiction services to Windows clients without additional software.

> For Example:
> In our Manufacture all Clients have got one User, this is "Administrator".

Unless you have chnaged the rights of "Administrator", this is bad
practice, and a security risk.

> But to mount a share from our Linux Server it should be a different User.
> Therefor the Worker shall only write a other Username in the Login-Window at
> Startup although the Workstation shall take the local Profil from the
> Administrator.
> This is like the Netware Client for Windows if you know this.
>
> The Reason for this is that every Worker may work on any Workstation he want
> and we do not want to create 20 Profils on every Windows Client.

Why not use roaming profiles instead, with domain user accounts?

Regards,
Buchan