[Samba] A few issues with samba & cups

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Mon Jan 26 22:57:16 GMT 2004

Hi all.

I have Samba-3.0.1 sharing 2 printers via the 'share all printers'
feature - the printers are an HP 4500 colour laser, and a Ricoh Aficio
AP3200 ( accepting jobs like a network HP does ).

I followed the instructions on the CUPS website for sharing printers
with the CUPS windows driver, using their 'cupsaddsmb' script, which
basically takes your existing ppd file, and adds a couple of dlls ( the
cups driver bit ) and chucks them in the printer$ share for Windows
clients to download when they connect.

This all appeared to work flawlessly. I can right-click in the shared
printers in the network neighbourhood and click 'connect' and the
printer driver is downloaded.

The first issue ( which is probably more of a CUPS issue than a Samba
issue ) is that the margins are wrong. The margins are perfect via
Linux. Margin settings are taken from the foomatic-generated ppd file,
and I've checked them against the manufacturer-issued ones. I've also
checked the Windows clients, and they are in fact using the same ppd
file that gets downloaded upon connecting. So something is going wrong
somewhere, and the left-hand margin is too big on both printers, and the
top margin is too big on the HP 4500. If anyone know the the problem is,
I'd be oh-so-grateful to hear from you :)

The next issue is that I can't update the printer config now that it's
set up. If I log into a Windows machine as root, samba will let me
upload new drivers ( manufactured-issed ones to replace the CUPS Windows
drivers ) to the printer$ share via the 'advanced' tab of the printer
config dialog, when I click on 'apply' to select the uploaded driver, I
get an error:

'Printer settings could not be saved. Access is denied'.

The drivers are being uploaded to the printer$ share, and I can select
them for use in a single print 'session' and everything works OK, but I
can't make them the default drivers!

One strange thing is that while I'm continually pressing on the 'apply'
button, there is no logging being generated in /var/log/samba. So this
looks like a permissions problem on the Windows client??? At any rate,
it is preventing me from sharing the printers via samba, so if anyone
knows what this issue is caused by, I'd also be very grateful to hear
from you.

Thanks!

Dan

smb.conf: