[Samba] A few issues with samba & cups

Jeffrey M. Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
Mon Jan 26 23:56:22 GMT 2004

We have a linux/samba/netatalk print server as our organization's
primary print server with roughly 120 printers currently installed and
about 100 more to go.  I followed the CUPS documentation to the letter,
as you did, and had unending trouble with bad output from windows
clients.  I tried dozens of ppds from many different sources all with
little success, and very unreliable printing across the board.  After
months of trouble and a Helpdesk that was about to lynch me, I arrived
at a solution: raw queues.

In this scenario, do not rely on cupsaddsmb to take your ppd and package
it up for the windows clients.  Instead set up raw queues with no ppd,
and then set up Samba to run the Add Printer Wizard from a remote
client.  This is probably the best place to start:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/

Look at 11th draft.

Once set up this way, you will set up raw CUPS queues and then add
drivers from a remote Windows client through Samba (you can even plug
scripts into the APW to take care of adding a CUPS printer).  You can
add drivers for other OSes as you normally would on a Windows print
server, change settings, etc.  Nothing will be greyed out to printer
admins.

We have had very little trouble from a print quality standpoint since
making the switch.  If I had taken the server in this direction 8 months
ago, I would have avoided a lot of pain.  In fact, even thinking about
someone else going through that is painful:)  Following this method will
make your server function identically to a Windows print server.

--
Jeff Hardy
Systems Administrator
hardyjm at potsdam.edu