[Samba] Samba tuning for Linux?

Shawn Wright swright at sls.bc.ca
Mon Jan 26 22:19:55 GMT 2004

We encountered a stability issue last week on one of 2.2.8 servers
running on RedHat 7.1 (2.4.19-13 kernel with SGI XFS patches). It
appears we exceeded the max files and  kernel setting, which resulted in
having more than 300 zombie smbd processes that we could not kill
without a reboot. Increasing the value of 'file-max' in /proc/sys/fs from the
default of 8192 to 32768 seems to have cured the problem for now.

But I'd like to know if there are some guidelines for tuning samba and
linux for stability and performance. I've applied most of the tips for Samba
I think, but am not certain about the linux config. How many of you are
running Samba 2.2.8 on Linux with 300+ concurrent users? What kinds of
changes have you made to improve stability?

Thanks.
Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager
Shawnigan Lake School
http://www.sls.bc.ca