[Samba] Execute .exe files from a Samba share

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 26 00:29:24 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 09:23, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 03:35, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm experimenting with SuSE Linux and Samba 2.2.5 as a PDC, so far,
> > everything works perfectly well, aside from that if I store an .exe file on
> > a network mapped drive (from the Samba server) it can't be run?
> >
> > The workstation is a Windows XP Pro SP1, connecting to the Samba running as
> > a PDC with LDAP backend.  The machine and user logon works perfectly, but I
> > can't execute .exe files residing on the Samba server's shares.
>
> Ensure you have unix execute permission on the file too.
>
> We map from unix to NT execute permissions.

I should make it clear that this is only regarding files copied from the
samba server to the client, such as profiles.  The client reads the ACL,
and copies that locally.  When the client then tries to execute the
program, it denies itself.  If the program is executed directly on the
share, only a read check is performed.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org