[Samba] Execute .exe files from a Samba share

Anders Norrbring anders at norrbring.biz
Mon Jan 26 00:14:48 GMT 2004

> On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 03:35, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm experimenting with SuSE Linux and Samba 2.2.5 as a PDC, so far,
> > everything works perfectly well, aside from that if I store an .exe file
> on
> > a network mapped drive (from the Samba server) it can't be run?
> >
> > The workstation is a Windows XP Pro SP1, connecting to the Samba running
> as
> > a PDC with LDAP backend.  The machine and user logon works perfectly,
> but I
> > can't execute .exe files residing on the Samba server's shares.
>
> Ensure you have unix execute permission on the file too.
>
> We map from unix to NT execute permissions.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

I guess that this list isn't the right place for distribution specific
questions, but as of what my manual for my dist says, it should work as a
PDC fully directly from the box.

It's the SuSE Linux Standard Server 8, based on United Linux 1.0SP3.  I've
followed the written manuals to the letter, and all the setup is made by
SuSE's web admin interface.  I don't know if it's familiar to you?

Anyway, I attach my smb.conf below, if that can be of any lead.

[global]
   add user script = /usr/sbin/addsmbmachine2ldap %m
   admin users = administrator
   character set =
   client code page = 437
   domain admin group = @ntadmin root
   encrypt passwords = Yes
   ldap admin dn = uid=cyrus,dc=the-server,dc=net
   ldap del only sam attr = Yes
   ldap filter = (&(uid=%u)(objectclass=sambaAccount))
   ldap port = 389
   ldap server = localhost
   ldap ssl = No
   ldap suffix = dc=the-server,dc=net
   map to guest = Bad User
   os level = 64
   printcap name = CUPS
   printer admin = @ntadmin
   printing = CUPS
   security = user
   socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
   time server = Yes
   unix extensions = Yes
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
   wins support = Yes
   workgroup = THE-SERVER

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
   browseable = No
[homes]
   browseable = No
   comment = Home Directories
   inherit permissions = Yes
   read only = No
   valid users = %S
[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   create mask = 0664
   directory mask = 0775
   force group = ntadmin
   path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
   write list = @ntadmin root
[printers]
   browseable = No
   comment = All Printers
   create mask = 0600
   path = /var/tmp
   printable = Yes

[Users]
   comment = Share of all users
   path = /home
   writeable = Yes
   inherit permissions = Yes
   veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
[Groups]
   comment = Share of all groups
   path = /home/groups
   writeable = Yes
   inherit permissions = Yes
[pdf]
   comment = PDF generator
   path = /var/tmp
   printable = Yes
   print command = /usr/bin/smbprngenpdf -J '%J' -c %c -s %s -u '%u' -z %z
   create mask = 0600
[info]
   comment = info
   path = /home/groups/info