[Samba] Can you use roaming profile in a workgroup environment?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 25 08:36:20 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 00:42, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Philip M Grisedale wrote:
>
> > All
> >
> > Can you set-up roaming profiles in a workgroup environment?  or do I have to
> > migrate to PDC?
>
> No. Roaming profiles work only with domain members. Ergo, you need a
> Domain, for that you need a PDC.
----
While we're on the subject...

I'm playing with Outlook / IMAP / profiles and reading through
Microsoft's IT Pro pages, I am circular referencing and somewhat
indecisive about the best plan for roaming profiles.

I am in final throws of converting a network over - users were on
Outlook 2000 / Win 98 and I never bothered with roaming profiles. I am
definitely using roaming profiles on computers to be deployed tomorrow.
Some of these users have some very big PST files (big shock - right?)

Anyway, I want to move the pst files from %SYSTEM_PROFILE_ROOT%\Local
Settings\Microsoft\Outlook because obviously that don't roam.

Microsoft suggests that you put them on network share. It's simple
enough to move them to %SYSTEM_PROFILE_ROOT%\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook which does roam.

Seems as though the price is paid throughout the day on the former and
only at startup and shutdown on the latter. I'm planning on just storing
their local PST stuff on the server share and going to beg them to clean
it up. It seems silly to pull email from their home share and store the
local cache also in their home share - plus I'm gonna have to set up
quota's now.

Anyone have an opinion here?

Lastly I've got Netscape 7.1 weighing in with up to 50 mb of cache in
the Application Data tree...run without cache?

Craig