[Samba] My story installing Samba-LDAP PDC (it has a happy ending )

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 25 02:24:26 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 18:24, Eyon, Tae wrote:
> i am also struggling with having a windows machine (xp) connect to a
> sampa-ldap pdc.  as far as the guide detailing vegeta's work, i'm somewhere
> around step 5 where you groupmap the windows groups to the linux groups.
> but unfortunately when i run the command: net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain
> Admins" unixgroup=domadmin it fails.
>
> the error returned is :  adding entry Domain Admins failed.
>
> i imagine i'm missing something obvious, but i've been looking at this for
> so long my mind is going numb.
---
fix the groupmap stuff last - it's one of the least important things. It
has nothing to do with whether you can connect a windows computer to the
domain.

The most important thing is to get LDAP working correctly and if you are
trying to learn LDAP and Samba at the same time, why would you not
expect your mind to go numb. LDAP is the single hardest thing to
configure and you have to make that work first. Learn how to access your
LDAP server...how to create new records, delete records and modify
records from command line - there are no shortcuts. When you get that
under control, set your computer up to do authentication (posix) via
LDAP / nsswitch / ldap.conf. When you can access mail, log in at console
and via ssh on account that only exists in LDAP (not in /etc/passwd),
then you know enough to integrate Samba. This is simply not something
that you can fake your way into learning or getting lucky and making it
work.

Craig