[Samba] LDAP connection leak?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Sat Jan 24 04:03:39 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 14:50, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> I would not think that 52 was high, given the number of files that slapd
> has to open before it starts serving connections anyway.
>
> Samba will open one connection per smbd, and nss_ldap will open one per
> program using nsswitch.   Standard posix semantics ensures these close
> on daemon shutdown.
>
> Do you have anything that indicates that we are actually leaking (rather
> than just using) connections?

Yeah, I think you're right and there is no leak.  I checked and there
are 30+ smbd with the same number of open connections to slapd; plus the
connection from nscd (shouldn't nss_ldap open only one connection when
using nscd?).  I'll keep a closer eye on it to see if the number grows;
I'm still left trying to figure out why slapd started logging "deferring
operation" and what happened to the system, but those are questions for
another list.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * * * * Good, fast and cheap: Pick all 3! * * * * * * *
* Naked Ape Consulting             http://nakedape.cc/r/sg  *
*      SnapGear Linux Firewall/VPN Appliances Reseller      *