[Samba] Web inteface for uploading?

Adam Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Fri Jan 23 14:13:02 GMT 2004

> i've been lokking for something simular, and came up with this:
> http://davenport.sourceforge.net/
> it's a webdav gateway to smb.
> looks more recent than SMB2WWW, but still not very up-to-date... on
> sourceforge it says:  Development Status: 4 - Beta, and the latest version
> is from july 2003...
> i would be EXTREMELY interested as well to find out how other people have
> done this. (provide remote acess to smb files on the network)

We use Davenport, for this and other reasons.  Very nice for
workstations (Ximain for example) that don't "really" support CIFS.
WebDAV is typically faster and more stable than bolted on CIFS support.

> an alternative could be to use sftp, filezilla for example. but the
> advantage of webdav is, that msoffice is webdav enabled, so opening and
> saving files can be done directly to webdav resources, as far as i know...
> (please correct me if i'm wrong)

Yes, it works.  Although it seems to depend on you version of Windows -
how well it works seems to come and go with every hot fix or service
pack.  But whose surprised by that?