[Samba] winbind utils not working as non-root user

Stephen W. Corey - 5535 swc at wardandsmith.com
Thu Jan 22 14:45:39 GMT 2004

I restarted the smb service yesterday (I haven't restarted it in a long
time) and now the winbind daemon doesn't work as a non-root user. I
discovered this when Squid (configured to use ntlm_auth) started
prompting everyone for login info, and it never accepts the login. When
I run (for example) "wbinfo -t" as user squid, here's the results

checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed
error code was  (0x0)
Could not check secret

I've restarted the whole server, and still have the problem. I'm pretty
sure it has something to do with the winbind "pipe" file. Here's the ls
-la for that directory:

[root at nbproxy01 winbindd_privileged]# ls -la
total 8
drwxr-x---    2 root     squid        4096 Jan 21 17:39 .
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Jan 22 09:34 ..
srwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Jan 21 17:39 pipe
[root at nbproxy01 winbindd_privileged]#

What could the problem be??