[Samba] Administrator and Samba PDC

Edd Payne edd.payne at ulu.lon.ac.uk
Thu Jan 22 10:25:28 GMT 2004

The "Admin Users" option in smb.conf has (AFAIK) been deprecated in Samba 3.0,
instead you should create a unix group called "ntadmin" or similar and then
run

"net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=ntadmin"

on the *nix box, or man net to learn more about it.

If you are using Samba 2 then the admin users option in smb.conf is the way
forward, man smb.conf to learn more.

To make a user an administrator on a single workstation, on Windows 2000 go to
Control Panel > Users and Passwords, then select the user, click
"Properties", select the "Group Membership" tab and choose "Administrators"
under Other. If you cant see the user in the list, select "Add" and enter the
users name and the name of the domain they belong to, then make them a member
of "Administrators". Note that this only makes them a local admin - to make
them a domain admin (should you so require) add them to the group on the
linux box. Windows XP Pro should be the same.

Incidentally, I've still not managed to work out how to do the above on a NT 4
Workstation box, which is the majority of our workstations here. Does anybody
have any advice, have I missed something obvious, or is this a new feature in
Win2k?

Ta
edd