[Samba] Storing Hashed Passwords in Credentials File

Alon Albert al at merc-int.com
Wed Jan 21 17:08:49 GMT 2004

I would like to have user specific entries in /etc/fstab

I understand the proper way to do this is to use credential files to store the username/passwords.

I also know I can protect these files from reading.

However, I don't like the idea of a password to stored in plain text anywhere, event if it is protected.

I know samba send the password in plain text anyway, it sends an encrypted hash of it. So, can I have that
hash stored in the credentials file instead of the plain text password?

This way, event if the file gets compromised, the actual password is still not revieled.