[Samba] Confusion as to how winbind and samba interact

Unix Service (ANTS) Unix.Services at ants.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 11:30:31 GMT 2004

Hi

while doing some investigation I noticed the following:

linux box + samba 3.0.0 with security = ads

if winbind in nsswitch.conf for passwd and group then everything ok.
if winbind not in nsswitch.conf and dameons restarted then samba
authentication stops working ( doing net view \\server returns access denied
).
if readd winbind to nsswitch .conf then have to restart daemons before
everything ok again.

this raises two questions:

(1) everything I'd read about samba + winbind implied that the nsswitch.conf
was only necessary if you wanted other unix services ( i.e. not samba ) to
use winbind - have I been stupid?

(2) with nsswitch.conf, the change should happen on the fly i.e. if it's
updated everything should start using the new configuration and you
shouldn't have to restart daemons to get them to use the new search path -
why am I not seeing this behaviour with samba/winbind?

any enlightenment would be appreciated

thanks

tim

This communication (including any attachments) contains confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient and you have received this communication in error, you should destroy it without copying, disclosing or otherwise using its contents.  Please notify the sender immediately of the error.

Internet communications are not necessarily secure and may be intercepted or changed after they are sent.  Abbey National Treasury Services plc does not accept liability for any loss you may suffer as a result of interception or any liability for such changes.  If you wish to confirm the origin or content of this communication, please contact the sender by using an alternative means of communication.

This communication does not create or modify any contract and, unless otherwise stated, is not intended to be contractually binding.

Abbey National Treasury Services plc. Registered Office:  Abbey National House, 2 Triton Square, Regents Place, London NW1 3AN.  Registered in England under Company Registration Number: 2338548.  Regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA).