[Samba] Re: smbldap-tools 8.3 populate errors

Curtis Grote cgrote at memhosp.com
Mon Jan 19 19:40:07 GMT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:55:15 +0100, Jérôme Tournier wrote:

> Le Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 04:00:23PM +0100, Manfred Odenstein a ecrit:
>> The tgz file is incomplete, I've notced this too. The rpm is complete, so I've
>> downloaded the rpm file instead, unpacked it, and copied the scripts to their
>> respective location.
> Yes, you are write. The archive now include the file.

Thanks for the fix. I downloaded it today and it works. I noticed however, that it
creates an 'Administrator' account with a uidNumber of 0. In a reply to a
post of mine on 2004-01-13 John Terpstra instructed me to avoid assigning
a UID of 0 to 'Administrator' because it would break winbind. Instead he
recommended using a 'root' account. Are you aware of this? John also
mentioned that the root account should have an rid (sambaSID?) of 500.
There still seems to be a lot of confusion as to the required sambaSID of
the root, administrator, and nobody accounts. Is any progress being made
in solidifying the rquirements?

>> My system is now runnung, but I think there are some bugs in the populate
>> script, e.g. the SID of the Administrator account should end with -500 as I
>> know, because it's predefinded. Any comment from the author ???
> 500 is the well-known RID for the domain administrator, not for
> the administrator account, am i wrong ?
>
>> and please take care of the default groups in the smbldap.conf file, default
>> machine account points to "Print Operators" (550) should be "Domain
>> Computers" (553).
> Yes, fixed.
>
>> I've also changed the gidNumber and uidNumber of the guest account and "Domain
>> Guest" group to the default values of my system (SuSE9)
>>
>> after this all worked correctly except some log-entries .
>> "Failed to open group mapping database" ....
>> and
>> "failed to decode PDU"
> Do you always have this error messages ? With every scripts ?
> Thanks for your report !

Curtis Grote
Memorial Hospital