[Samba] samba3 win2k roaming profiles.

Nathan Brown agent2 at sentinelc0de.net
Sun Jan 18 00:57:56 GMT 2004

I'm running Windows 2000 Professional and Samba 3.0.1 and I can't seem
to get roaming profiles to work right. When there are no profiles
stored locally on the win2k machine, and a user logs in for the first
time, it successfully reads the profile from the server in the
\\netlogon\Default User  share. Next, if you manually copy the profile
to server and login to the workstation, it will read the profile.

The problem comes in when any changes are made to the profile or if a
profile exists (for that user) on the workstation, it won't read the
profile from the server nor will it update the profile on the server
when they log off. I can't tell if this is a Windows problem or a Samba
problem, but everything looks like it set correctly in Samba and on
Windows and I just don't know what to do now!

Samba Config:

[global]
         workgroup = WORKSTATION
         time server = Yes
         log level = 11
         logon script = %u.bat
         logon drive = h:
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 33
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         profile acls = yes
         logon home = \\www\%u
         logon path = \\www\profile\%u
         profile acls = yes

[profile]
         create mask = 0777
         directory mask = 0777
         writable = yes
         browseable = yes
         path = /home/profiles

[netlogon]
         path = /usr/local/netlogon
         read only = No
         locking = No
         root preexec = /usr/local/netlogon/logonscript.pl %U %M %m
         root postexec = /usr/local/netlogon/logoutscript.pl %U %M %m

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         read only = No
         create mask = 0700