[Samba] Printer on WinXP
kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Jan 17 13:33:39 GMT 2004
> Thomas Bergstam thomas at acat.se
> Sat Jan 3 18:10:22 GMT 2004
> Hi all,
> Is it possible to use a printer attached to a WinXP computer from Linux
> (Suse) using only console mode, ie. no graphic mode?
1. Make sure your WinXP-attached printer is shared.
2. Make sure you use "CUPS" as a printing system.
3. Make sure you know about CUPS and PPDs.
4. Know that WinXP (Prof!) is capable of using IPP as a print protocol
5. Know that Microsoft, in their unlimited wisdom decided to use as
a printer URI this:
http://[IP-address of WinXP]:80/[printer-sharename]/.printer
6. Install the printer (assuming IP for WinXP is 22.214.171.124 and
printer-sharename of printer is my_printer):
lpadmin -p printername -v http://126.96.36.199:80/my_printer/.printer -E -P /path/to/PPD
7. Print to your heart's limits fromt the commandline:
lp -d printername /path/to/printfile
P.S:: Please bear in mind, that you may not receive anyone's attention to
your question, if you continue to miss providing *any* details about
your system, like "XP Home or XP Prof?", "Version of SuSE?" etc.
More information about the samba