[Samba] Access private share in Samba 3.0.0

Miao Hu mhu at ciprico.com
Fri Jan 16 22:48:11 GMT 2004

Hello,

We just updated samba from 2.2.8 to 3.0.0. Now looks like we got some issues
with the authentication system.

Server in domain A. Create private share on server. If a windows client
doesn't join the domain A, I was able to map the server's private share by
give user name and password on this client. The difference between 2.2.8 and
3.0.0 is how to give the user name. In 2.2.8, it takes "Domain\Username".
However, in 3.0.0, only username, no domain name, will work. Is that right?
I thought any client from outside the domain suppose to give domain name AND
user name when they login. I knew samba 3.0.0 changed the authentication
system. But I don't know the user from outside the domain can login without
given domain name. Is it supposed to work this way or a bug? Any reply is
highly appreciated!

smb.conf like:

[disk0]
        path=/disk0