[Samba] Samba 3.0 pdc and winxp

Richard Houston rhouston at rlhc.net
Fri Jan 16 15:10:15 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am trying to get an xp machine to join a samba 3.0 pdc domain.
I keep getting the following error below. I can view the pdc shares with
no problem. Can anyone point me in the correct direction on getting this
fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The domain name homenet might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is the
case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
(SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain
homenet:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."

(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.homenet

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
child zone:

homenet
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Regards,
| Richard Houston                  .^.     |
| R.L.H.  Consulting               /V\     |
| E-Mail  <rhouston at rlhc.net>    /(   )\   |
| WWW     <www.rlhc.net>          ^^-^^    |