[Samba] Re: Logging Detail

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Wed Jan 14 23:36:59 GMT 2004

> Hi all,
>
> I am using Samba 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix on a few RH7.3
> systems.
>
> I need to configure the logging to show what user/pc is accessing
> what file.
>
> I've been through the How-Tos at Samba.org and read the section
> on configuring logging detail but either I'm too tired or too stupid
> (both viable options ;-) ) to figure out which level I need to get this
> information.
>
> Can anyone tell me what level of logging I need to set to get this?
>
> I did this way back 3 years ago on RH7.0 systems but that info
> has long since been flushed from mental cache.
>
> TIA,
>
> Mike

After further dinking around I see I can get copious amounts of info
most of which I don't need. Kind of like life in general.

Is there a way to get customized logs so that I get an entry of the
form:

<timestamp> <IP or machine name> <Samba User> <filename>

It would be a bonus if I could tell if the file was read or written.

Any help with this appreciated and pointers to docs welcome.

Mike