[Samba] "share modes" parameter

Eddie temp_storage2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 21:09:05 GMT 2004

Hello,

I was updating our configuration files after upgrading from 2.2.8 to 3.0,
and I noticed that the new default smb.conf file has "share modes = no"
under the [netlogon] section (where as this was not present before)

What does this do, and more importantly, what bad things might happen if one
does not specific this (and thus the default share modes + yes applies) for
the [netlogon] share?

(the man page for smb.conf states that "You should NEVER turn this parameter
off as many Windows applications will break if you do so.")

Thanks,
Eddie