[Samba] Samba PDC and Automatic Printer Install

Michael Aldrich maldrich at i-centrix.com
Wed Jan 14 15:35:11 GMT 2004

Hello,
I am trying to install automatic printer driver download and install.
I am running Samba 3, as a PDC, on RedHat 7.3.

It seems everything is setup correctly, although I cannot get the rpcclient
to 'see' my printer.
Please notice these two printers listed below ar the same (lp & HP2300).

[root at mercury log]# rpcclient -U=root localhost
Password:

rpcclient $> enumprinters
        flags:[0x800000]
        name:[\\mercury\HP2300]
        comment:[HP2300]

        flags:[0x800000]
        name:[\\mercury\lp]
        comment:[]

rpcclient $> enumdrivers

[Windows NT x86]
Printer Driver Info 1:
        Driver Name: [HP LaserJet 2300 Series PCL 6]

[Windows NT x86]
Printer Driver Info 1:
        Driver Name: [HP LaserJet 2300 Series PCL 6]

rpcclient $> setdriver "lp" "HP LaserJet 2300 Series PCL 6"
SetPrinter call failed!
result was WERR_ACCESS_DENIED
rpcclient $> setdriver "HP2300" "HP LaserJet 2300 Series PCL 6"
SetPrinter call failed!
result was WERR_ACCESS_DENIED
rpcclient $>

Snip from my smb.conf:
[printers]
        comment = HP LaserJet
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = root
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        printing = cups
        use client driver = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Download
        path = /var/spool/samba/W32X86/3
        valid users = maldrich, root
        admin users = maldrich, root
        write list = root
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[lp]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = root
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        printer name = lp
        use client driver = Yes
        oplocks = No
        share modes = Yes

On the client side (Windows XP Pro), I can see both printers from Network
Neighborhood,
<Domain Name>, Printers & Faxes. Both of them are in 'Error' status.

Does anyone have an idea why this operation is continuosly failing?

Why do I get WERR_ACCESS_DENIED from SetPrinter?

Thanks
Mike

And thanks to Kurt for getting me this far....