[Samba] Question regarding guest account =

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 14 13:30:37 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 02:25:17PM +0100, Tarjei Huse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I experiemented a bit with the guest account parameter the other day,
> and I some questions:
>
> a) It seems to me that if you turn this parameter on, the user will be
> used when someone browses the domain without beeing a domain member, is
> this a true observation?
> (Don't answer this one, I checked the manual and it said yes).

It is also used by existing domain members, for the logon process.

> b) It also seems that the guestuser must have a sambaSid that ends in
> 501, else samba will not find the user, correct?

We make up an account if you don't supply one, and we will get nasty
side-effects if you don't give it a RID of 501

> c) Also, if I want a guest user that can log on to my domain without a
> password, but who will not have any access to shares etc, should I then
> use this "guest" user or should I create a special user for this?

Use this account.  This is done (if you want to match win2k behaviour)
with the 'map to guest = bad user' parameter.

Andrew Bartlett