[Samba] Access Files, unable to gain exclusive access to modify reports after first open of file.

Ed Asbury easbury at vogeleamerica.com
Thu Jan 8 22:07:08 GMT 2004

I've searched all over the place and have tried all of the oplocking things
in  the "Official Samba-3 Howto and Ref. Guide", including all of the
registry changes on the client.  The problem is that every time we need to
modify an Access Report (which requires exclusive access to the database),
if the database has been PREVIOUSLY opened, will not allow us to gain
exclusive access even though no-one else has it open.  If I copy the file(s)
to another directory, it will allow us access one time only, any subsequent
attempts to modify the report gives the error "You do not have exclusive
access to the database at this time.  If you proceed to make changes,
......".  This is a real show stopper for us since we have about 20 people
here that routinely modify Access reports, etc.  Changing to another
database is NOT an option.  The weird thing is that once it reports this
error for one database, it does the same for every other database in that
directory.  Any attempt to modify a report in ANY of the databases in that
directory give the same "exclusive access" error.  I am sure that someone
has run across this before or there is someone who has Access databases
being successfully modified running on Samba.  I am running Samba 3.0.0-14E
on RHES 3.0.  The pertinent directory in the smb.conf has the following:

[finance]
 path = /usr/data/finance
 read list = @finance
 write list = @finance
 create mask = 0770
 directory mask = 0770
 browseable = Yes
 force create mode = 0770
 veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.MDB/*.ldb/*.LDB/*.xls/*.XLS

Any ideas at all.  John T., if I must bribe you with an Amazon gift
certificate to get this sorted out, then let it be so.  But I desperately
need help with this.