[Samba] Upgrading Samba: minimum requirements for Samba wrt Solaris and gcc

John P. Nelson nelsonjp at genrad.com
Thu Jan 8 21:43:50 GMT 2004

>an on Solaris 8, the 'configure' step completes
>successfully, but 'make' seems to hang early:
>creating /home/troy/src/samba/samba-3.0.1/source/include/proto.h
>[it hangs here for hours if I let it]

Hey, I recognize this one!

This problem occurs if /usr/ucb is in your path ahead of /usr/bin or
/bin.  I tracked this behavior into mkproto.sh: the problem is with the
"tr" program in /usr/ucb.  mkproto.sh uses "tr" in a pipeline like this:

  ... | tr ' ' '\n' | ...

/usr/ucb/tr substitutes spaces with "n" characters, where /usr/bin/tr
substitutes newlines.  It makes a HUGE difference to what mkproto.sh
is trying to do.

Frankly, I recommend removing /usr/ucb from your path entirely.

>I have had trouble compiling Samba version 3.0.1
>with gcc version 2.8.1 on Solaris 2.5.1:
>
>$ ./configure
>checking for gcc... gcc
>checking for C compiler default output... cat: cannot open conftest.c
>configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Something fundamental is broken.  Look in "config.log" - the messages
there may help you figure out what's going wrong.

My first guess would be that something is wrong with gcc:  perhaps gcc
really CAN'T create executables on this system:  try doing a simple
compile of a "hello world" C program.

It's weird that configure can't report on the contents of conftest.c,
though.  It's almost like something else is wrong with the standard
shell scripting tools on this system.  I'd try removing any strange
directories from your PATH, and try again.