[Samba] adding Windows Domain users to a unix group

Daniel lai laihu01 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 16:08:50 GMT 2004

Hi All,

Just joined the list. The postings are very helpful
for me to implementing samba for my work place.

I am running samba 3.0.1 or RED HAT 9.0.
Does anybody know how to add Windows domain users to a
linux usergroup? My PDC is running Windows 2000. I do
not have permissions to create groups on the Windows
PDC. Windbind is working fine on the Redhat machine. I
can map to the linux samba server share "homes" with
the user, DOMAIN1\user1. But the users;
Domain1\user2,Domain2\user3, or Domain2\user4 can't
map to homes directory. I appreciate  any help or
comments on adding Windows users to a unix group.

Thank you,
Dan

Below is my smb.conf and username map file.

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = DOMAIN1
	server string = Samba Server
	security = DOMAIN
	username map = /etc/samba/users.map
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
	ldap ssl = no
	idmap uid = 10000-12000
	idmap gid = 10000-12000

[homes]
path = /home
	valid users = root, @managers, DOMAIN1\user1
	admin users = root, @managers, DOMAIN1\user1
	read list = root, @managers, DOMAIN1\user1
	write list = root, @managers, DOMAIN1\user1
	read only = No

My users.map file

user1="DOMAIN1\user1"
user2="DOMAIN1\user2"
user3="DOMAIN1\user3"
user4="DOMAIN1\user4"

all the users are part of the group "managers" in the
linux machine.