[Samba] Add a preamble to documentation

Jérôme Fenal jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com
Thu Jan 8 13:36:40 GMT 2004

Hi list, hi John,

having seen last week a post (see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?m=107341768923846) that remind me some
quirks I encountered, I'd like to see a preamble added to the chapter 12
of the howto. It concerns the diffent types of admin you will need in a
PDC setup.
I say preamble, but it could be found anywhere else, as long as it could
be found (I have lost long hours struggling with this) ;-)

It applies to NT4 domain control, but may apply as well to ADS, when
Samba will be ready (YMMV, I never used Samba in ADS mode).

It could be as follow :

«
Administrative tasks that will need to be done with or beside Samba will
be of two types :
- the one concerning directly the domain, and thus Samba as a PDC,
- and the one concerning the clients, eg. as local workstation/server
administrator.

These are really different as the first will in fact concern the Unix
security model that Samba follows closely, the latest are facilities
from the Windows paradigms, such as the "Domain Admins" domain group.

The first will always need root priviledges, the second are discussed
below regarding to how to map a Unix group to the NT4 "Domain Admins" one.

Root priviledges are basically needed to add, remove, and modify (group
membership for instance) Unix accounts, and are given to a user having a
  uid equal to zero. It could also be given to users specified in the
"admin users =" clause of smb.conf. The downside of this is that the
samba user is mapped to root (which is what we asked for), not only for
account management, but for _all_ tasks, eg. also for accessing shares,
creating files and so on.
These users thus should not be used for day to day work, but only for
domain administration purposes.
But it could be mixed with the "Domain Admins" group (mapped to Unix
group domadmin or ntadmin), just by specifying "admin users = root
@ntadmin @domadmin" in smb.conf.
This will allow paradigms similar to the one found in NT4 domain
administration, but with the downside cited below.

What should should be done is to have two separate groups, say domadmin
for domain administration, ntadmin for NT client administration (such as
a loging with local administrative rights on a workstation).

domadmin should have accounts used only for domain administration
(add/remove workstations, servers, users), eg. tasks that could be
accomplished through the use of USRMGR.EXE and SRVMGR.EXE.

ntadmin should be mapped to "Domain Admins" group (rid=512).

ntadmin should not be found in the "admin users =" clause, which should
only read :
	admin users = root @domadmin

Accounts in ntadmin group should not be seen in domadmin group, and reverse.

Accounts in domadmin are nominative, just as should be all accounts in
secure minded organisations. To differentiate them from normal accounts,
  and could be named as "admin-da-" ("d" could be seen as domain or
directory administrator) followed by the name of the standard account of
the user (eg. would be admin-da-jfenal for me).

In the same manner, accounts in ntadmin could be as "admin-sa-" ("s" for
station or server administrator).

So an administrative user would have two to three accounts :
- name,
- admin-wa-name,
- and possibly admin-da-name.
»

This is more or less what I'm currently writing (in french) in a
document for one of my clients.

The account naming norm is what I am currently implementing and could be
avoided in the howto, but it really shows what are the differences
between the tasks, and also allows a technician to have administration
rights on workstations, and not on the domain.

Commments are welcome, corrections too.

Regards,

Jérôme

--
Jérôme Fenal - Consultant Unix/SAN/Logiciel Libre
Groupe Expert & Managed Services - LogicaCMG France