[Samba] PDF printer and wiidows driver auto-download.

cedric_lejeune cedric_lejeune at laposte.net
Wed Jan 7 16:11:18 GMT 2004

> > But now, users want me to configure samba so when they access
> > the printer through windows explorer, they do not have to
> > install printer driver, they are automagically downloaded from
> > samba server. I've seen in the doc it is possible for a real
> > printer, so I've tried to do the same for my virtual printer.
> > I've located files required, installed them, defined
> > association between  my virtual printer and its drivers, you
> > know... I've just followed the doc. And everything seemed ok.
> > But when I try to connect the the virtual printer, windows
> > still asks me for printer drivers =(
>
> Have you tried browsing to the printers and faxes share on
the printer
> server, selecting the printer, right clicking, and setting
the driver
> that way?

Hello =)

I just redo it to be sure. Neither "Connect..." nor
"Properties" work =(

If I choose "Properties", a box appears with message "Printer
properties cannot be displayed. Operation could not be completed".

If I choose "Connect...", windows says "The server on which
the 'PdfPrinter' printer resides does not have the correct
printer driver installed. If you want to install the driver on
your local computer, click OK.". It does not download driver
from samba server =(

I wonder if the problem could occure 'cause the printer is a
virtual printer?

By the way, checking one more time samba doc, I can "see"
driver from windows (right-click on background of folder
Printers, Server Properties, Drivers) _BUT_ I cannot "see"
printer properties doing a right-click on it as said above. So
, from doc's point of view (Chapter 18. Classical Printing
Support/Check Samba for Driver Recognition), I pass the second
and third test, but not the first one.

Thanks for your help =)

I keep searching...

See U =)