[Samba] Re: Cannot copy files to Samba Server

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 03:03:40 GMT 2004

<Amanofab at aol.com> wrote in message
news:5CE3B903.2B305568.006D6855 at aol.com...

I have been able to access the shared folder I have created on the Linux
system with my Windows machines. I can copy files off the Linux server onto
the Windows units. However, I cannot do the reverse. I cannot copy files to
the Linux server.

Samba file permissions sit on top of the Linux permissions.  They will not
override them.  It is likely that your Linux permissions deny the users
write access to the share.

Check to see if the user root and the group root own the folder you are
trying to share.  Type
ls -l
one directory higher than the share and you will see the user and group that
owns the share.  You will also see the permissions on the share.

Change the ownership of the share to the user or group that needs access.
Also, make sure that the users or group have write permissions to the share.

You could try something like
chown username:groupname sharename.

Do some research on the chown amd chmod commands.