[Samba] Cannot copy files to Samba Server

Amanofab at aol.com Amanofab at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 21:47:35 GMT 2004

I am a Linux newbie trying to get a Samba server up and running. I have installed Debian Woody 3.0 with Samba 2.2.3a-12.

I have been able to access the shared folder I have created on the Linux system with my Windows machines. I can copy files off the Linux server onto the Windows units. However, I cannot do the reverse. I cannot copy files to the Linux server. I have tried looking at various smb.conf files on the Internet and making changes to no avail. I have used chmod to change the settings for the shared folder to 777.

Here is the contents of my smb.conf file:

[global]
   workgroup = LinuxServer
   server string = %h server (Samba %v)
   printing = cups
   invalid users = root
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

   os level = 99
   preferred master = yes

   dns proxy = no

   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
   obey pam restrictions = yes

[files]
   comment = Shared Files
   path = /home/ftp
   writeable = yes
   guest ok = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   writeable  = yes
   path = /home
   create mask = 0777
   directory mask = 0777

[share]
   comment = share dir
   path = /share
   guest ok = yes
   writeable = yes
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   public = yes
   create mask = 0777
   directory mask = 0777

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = yes
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0777

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!