[Samba] Suddenly need IP address to mount SMB share

Jeopardy Racing jeopardyracing at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 16:25:39 GMT 2004

I really need a hand here. I'm running Red Hat 9.0 and
recently got the Up2Date certificates updated such
that I finally got all of the updates from Red Hat. I
run the publishers addition of Red Hat.

Prior to the change, I used to mount an SMB share
really easily with a simple shell script than went

#!/bin/bash

smbmount //Server/share /mnt/point -o
dmask=777,fmask=777

But after I finally got Up2date working and downloaded
the latest updates this script requires the exact IP
of the server I'm looking to connect to with the
following addition to the script -o ip=[num]. I can
connect this way but what a nightmare! Does anyone
know what changed and how I can get things back the
way they were?

I do notice the following when I run the scripts in
debug mode without the specific IP address appended:

tbd_open_ex: could not open file
/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tbd

I checked that directory and there are indeed no files
in it. It's permissions are 755. I also checked the
lmhosts file and it's permissions are 755 as well,
with no servers other than this linux machine itself
listed.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Rich Hoyer

Thanks in advance