[Samba] winbind help

Brian Bennett bennett at 4690pos.com
Sat Feb 28 01:47:45 GMT 2004

I have a Suse 9 server setup with Samba 2.2.8 as the PDC.

I would like to log the domain\username in the squid logs, so it looks
like I will need to setup winbind and ntml to get this.

Is there something special needed to be done when setting up winbind and
samba to not go out to authenticate to an NT PDC?

I currently have been able to get winbind setup to partially work.

wbinfo -t works
wbinfo -u works
wbinfo -g works

but once I try to authenticate a user, I get:

winbindd[2580]:   cli_pipe: return critical error. Error was Call timed
out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds

in the /var/log/messages log.

the funny part is, if I use an incorrect password on "wbinfo -a
domain\\user%passwd" it will return imediately telling the password is
wrong.

Here is the important setting in smb.conf:

#        password server = *
#        security = domain
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
#        winbind use default domain = yes
#        winbind separator = +
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes

I have tried various settings with "password server" and "security" with
no luck, they are currently commented out.

Help!!!