[Samba] samba transfer speed on shares

deflin39 at deflin.net deflin39 at deflin.net
Fri Feb 27 21:44:16 GMT 2004

Hi all!

I have searched through the archives and have not found an answer to this,
but it is also possible I wasn't searching for the right thing, so here
goes.

I am running samba 2.2.7a on a RH 9 box.  I am having issues with transfer
speeds on my shares.  I have the shares mapped to drives on my XP box.
When coping files from the XP -> linux, The speed is great.  But from
linux->XP my speed drops off drastically.

Now, if I mount my D: drive onto my linux file system, I get good speeds
both ways when using the command line to do the copying.

Also, ftp speeds are fast and consistent both ways.

Map drive
xp->linux: 100megs/18secs
linux->xp: 100megs/30 minutes

Drive mounted on linux fs
xp->linux: 100megs/12secs
linux->xp: 100megs/12secs
similar speed for FTP

Has anyone seen something similar to this situation?  Please let me know
if I can clear any of this information up or provide detailed
settings/configurations...

deflin39