[Samba] Authentication problem when using LDAP

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Fri Feb 27 17:20:45 GMT 2004

   A colleague has seen a problem (with Samba 3.0), in using
LDAP.
   A very simple version of the problem is as follows, where
he tries to authenticate a user "grw"
 > > I am almost there...  I get the following when I do a simple test to
 > > find the user 'grw' by attempting to change the password (even
 > >  though I do not want Samba to change the pw, this just is a test)
 > >
 > > # smbpasswd -D 10 grw
 > > Netbios name list:-
 > > my_netbios_names[0]="REYMASTER"
 > > New SMB password:
 > >
 > > Retype new SMB password:
 > >
 > > Trying to load: ldapsam_compat
 > > Attempting to register passdb backend ldapsam
 > > Successfully added passdb backend 'ldapsam'
 > > Attempting to register passdb backend ldapsam_compat
 > > Successfully added passdb backend 'ldapsam_compat'
 > > Attempting to register passdb backend smbpasswd
 > > Successfully added passdb backend 'smbpasswd'
 > > Attempting to register passdb backend tdbsam
 > > Successfully added passdb backend 'tdbsam'
 > > Attempting to register passdb backend guest
 > > Successfully added passdb backend 'guest'
 > > Attempting to find an passdb backend to match ldapsam_compat
 > > (ldapsam_compat)
 > > Found pdb backend ldapsam_compat
 > > pdb backend ldapsam_compat has a valid init
 > > Attempting to find an passdb backend to match guest (guest)
 > > Found pdb backend guest
 > > pdb backend guest has a valid init
 > > smbldap_search: base => [ou=people,dc=ncs,dc=att,dc=com], filter =>
 > > [(&(&(uid=grw)(objectclass=posixAccount))(objectclass=sambaAccount))],
 > > scope => [2]
 > > smbldap_open_connection:  <ldap://reymaster:389> ldap://reymaster:389
 > > smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
 > > ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server  <ldap://reymaster:389>
 > > ldap://reymaster:389
 > > as "cn=proxyagent,ou=profile,dc=ncs,dc=att,dc=com"
 > > ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
 > > The LDAP server is succesful connected
 > > ldapsam_getsampwnam: Unable to locate user [grw] count=0
 > > Failed to find entry for user grw.
 > > Failed to modify password entry for user grw

   It looks amost as if the user isn't there... see
   just below the conf file..

 > > my smb.conf file looks like this [global section]:
 > >
 > > [global]
 > >         printing = sysv
 > >         printcap name = /etc/printcap
 > >         load printers = yes
 > >         ; basic server settigns
 > >         workgroup = UnixServers
 > >         netbios name = reymaster
 > >         server string = Samba File Server
 > >         socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
 > > SO_RCVBUF=8
 > > 192
 > >
 > >         ; security and login
 > >         security = user
 > >         encrypt passwords = Yes
 > >         log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log.%m
 > >         log level = 5
 > >         max log size = 500
 > >         hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 135.191.28.0/255.255.255.192
 > >
 > >         ; LDAP configuration
 > >         ldap admin dn =
 > > "cn=proxyagent,ou=profile,dc=ncs,dc=att,dc=com"
 > >         ldap suffix = "ou=people,dc=ncs,dc=att,dc=com"
 > >         ldap filter = "(&(uid=%u)(objectclass=posixAccount))"
 > >         ; ldap user suffix = ou=Users
 > >         ; ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
 > >         ldap server = reymaster
 > >         ldap ssl = off
 > >         ldap port = 389
 > >

 > > In the Samba documentation that I have read, it refers to an {
 > > objectClass=sambaAccount }
 > > Do I need to add this in my LDAP server?

	What's the content of objectClass=sambaAccount, or more
	correctly, where do we read about it?

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,       | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems,          | some people and astonish the rest.
(905) 415-2849 or x52849   | davecb at canada.sun.com