[Samba] Different file timestamp between Linux and Windows smb clients

Richard Conway Richard.Conway at vega.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 17:15:43 GMT 2004

I have a shared directory on a Windows 2003 Server platform.
I have a Linux (RedHat 7.3) platform accessing the shared directory as a SMB
mount.
The system clocks on the two platforms are not fully synchronised - they are
out by a few minutes.

Using the Linux platform, if I touch a file in the shared directory then the
file's Modified and Accessed timestamps are both set according to the
current time on the Linux platform. I might expect these timestamps to be
set instead to the current time on the server platform - this is what I have
seen in a similar configuration using NFS.

To investigate further I use a third machine running Windows 2003 Server
(again not time synchronised with the server). Using this platform, if I
touch a file in the shared directory then the file's Modified and Accessed
timestamps are both set according to the current time on the *server*. This
is the behaviour I am looking for.

Does anyone know if I can configure the SMB client running on the Linux
platform to behave the same as the Windows 2003 SMB client, i.e. I want my
timestamps to be set according to the current time on the server as opposed
to the client.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard.