[Samba] Limit on number of symbolic links?

Harmon, Leigh lharmo02 at harris.com
Tue Feb 24 00:02:29 GMT 2004

All,

Is there a limit on the number of symbolic links that Samba follows correctly.
I'm running Samba 3.0.1 on Solaris 8, and using Samba as a file server.  I've
tested 3.0.2 and have the same issue.  On the Unix side, I have a directory that
contains many symbolic links to other directories.  Many of these links point to
other links (on separate servers by NFS), which then point to a directory on
another server where the data actually resides (link->link->directory).  With
permissions being 770 on the directories, and my user is in the correct Unix
group, I cannot access or even see the links from Samba.  However, I can
successfully access them on the Unix side.  If I open up the permissions to 777
on the directories, then I am able to see the links via Samba.  It appears that
Samba is losing my permissions, or can't mount these links.

I do have:
Follow symlinks =yes
Wide links = yes

Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks for the help in advance!!