[Samba] Kerberos support in 3.0?

pll+samba at permabit.com pll+samba at permabit.com
Mon Feb 23 17:43:15 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm about to begin building a single-sign-on environment (hopefully).
We just brought our first set of Windows-based PCs in, and would like
to integrate them into our existing Linux/MacOS X environment.

We are currently running MIT Kerberos, and would like to create a
Samba PDC which authenticates against these KDCs.  Another parallel
project is to migrate to OpenLDAP.  I haven't found a lot of
documentation regarding Samba, LDAP, *and* kerberos.  It seems the
LDAP information is there, but the krb5 stuff hasn't been addressed
as well.

Can someone provide pointers to any existing docs on using Samba and
Kerberos?

The things I'm not clear on are:

  - does the Windows client need krb5 client sw installed to auth
    directly against the kdc, or the it proxy this through the Samba
    PDC?
  - Does the Samba PDC auth directly against the kdc, or punt that to
    the LDAP server?

Thanks,
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE