[Samba] Samba server participating in MSDFS?

William Flavin flavinw64 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 16:17:05 GMT 2004

I've been reading through a lot of documentation and
haven't found the answer to this question.

I'd like to setup a DFS Root on a Win2K3 server with
some Samba server shares participating as replica
links. Is this possible? I've got the shares setup on
the Samba servers and have no trouble accessing them
from windows computers. I tried to setup the links on
the Win2k3 server, but the Samba shares are X'd out,
meaning they cannot participate in replication. The
error that pops up when clicking on the X'd share is
"The RPC Server is unavailable". Is there any way to
setup Samba to participate in replication setup on the
Windows server.

My Samba servers are running Red Hat 7.3 and Samba
2.28.

I read that you can add MSDFS support when installing
Samba. However, It seems that all of the documentation
contains information on setting up MSDFS with Linux
servers participating only. I haven't seen any
documentation on whether or not the Linux Samba server
can participate in a DFS tree hosted on a Windows
server. Thanks in advance for any information you can share.