[Samba] Cannot Access LDAP when not root...

mike at jurney.org mike at jurney.org
Wed Feb 18 20:31:11 GMT 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Jason Gray wrote:

> ldapsam_search_one_group: Problem during the LDAP search: LDAP error:
> (Insufficient access)smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root..

This bug reoccurs from time-to-time.  Part of my build procedure is to
disable this check to avoid the headache.

> It seems as if Samba cannot access LDAP unless the user has root access.  Is
> there a way around this?

There are two ways I know of to work around this:

1. You can either set the -DNO_LDAP_SECURITY compiler flag

2. remove lines 805-810 in lib/smbldap.c:

#ifndef NO_LDAP_SECURITY
        if (geteuid() != 0) {
                DEBUG(0, ("smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root..\n"));
                return  LDAP_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS;
        }
#endif

--